top of page

The Human Body and Alkaline Hydrolysis: Restoring Nature's Balance



The human body is a remarkable and complex entity composed of a myriad of chemical elements and compounds. Understanding what our bodies are made up of is a crucial first step in appreciating the innovative process of alkaline hydrolysis, which aims to return the body to its natural chemical components.


What Makes Up Our Bodies?


Our bodies are predominantly made up of water, comprising approximately 60% of our total body weight. The remaining 40% consists of a wide array of organic and inorganic compounds, including proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, and more. These elements are intricately combined to form the tissues, organs, and systems that allow our bodies to function.




Proteins: Proteins are the building blocks of life, playing a fundamental role in the structure and function of our cells and tissues. They are composed of amino acids, which are the primary constituents of our muscles, enzymes, and antibodies.











Fats: Fats serve as an energy reserve and are vital for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. They are essential components of cell membranes and play a role in insulating and protecting vital organs.









Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the body's primary energy source. Glucose, a type of carbohydrate, fuels the cells and provides the energy needed for various bodily functions.











Minerals: Minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, and potassium, are essential for bone health, nerve function, and maintaining fluid balance in the body.






Alkaline Hydrolysis: Returning the Body to Its Natural Components


Alkaline hydrolysis, also known as aquamation or resomation, is an environmentally friendly and innovative method for the disposition of human remains. It offers an alternative to traditional burial and cremation while emphasizing sustainability.


Here's how alkaline hydrolysis works:



1. Preparation: The body is placed in a vessel specifically designed for alkaline hydrolysis called a Resomator. The vessel is filled with a mixture of 95% water and 5% alkaline substance, typically potassium hydroxide.


2. Heating and Agitation: The vessel is heated to a controlled temperature and gently agitated. As the machine is a pressurized vessel the water never boils just heats due to atmospheric pressure. This process breaks down the body's tissues and organic matter, similar to the way our digestive system works but at a much higher temperature.


3. Chemical Reaction: As the body is gently washed in the alkaline solution, a chemical reaction occurs, causing the organic matter to break down into its constituent elements. This process takes up to 4 hours to complete.


4. Remaining Bones: After the process is finished, the remaining bones are typically the only recognizable remnants. These bones are then processed into a fine, powdery substance, similar to cremated remains.


5. Eco-Friendly Disposition: Alkaline hydrolysis is an environmentally friendly choice as it doesn't produce harmful emissions or require large amounts of energy. The remaining liquid can be safely disposed of after further treatment. The bone powder is completely sterile and is returned to the family. With Alkaline hydrolysis we call this the "Hydrolysised Remains" or after a flame cremation they call this the "Ash".


Understanding what our bodies are made up of highlights the incredible complexity of the human form. Alkaline hydrolysis, with its focus on returning the body to its natural chemical components, offers a modern and sustainable alternative to traditional burial and cremation. This innovative process not only respects our connection to nature but also promotes environmental responsibility in our final farewell.

117 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page